This recipe is a STAPLE in my house. I honestly make it at least once a week. Kula Baby will always eat it, no matter his mood. I turn a blind eye to the fact that he is eating the green stuff because it is attached to the yummy bread and cheese topping 🙂
Baked Broccoli Gratin
- 1 cup broccoli finely chopped
- 3/4 cup lima beans (I used organic frozen lima beans)
- 1/2 sweet onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup organic spinach chopped
- 4 fresh basil chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried basil)
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil organic, unrefined
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs use crushed up rice chex (or and organic brand for gluten-free version)
- 1/4 cup milk or milk substitute--you want the breadcrumbs to have a little moisture or the topping turns out dry
- Pinch sea salt
In a frying pan, saute oil garlic and onion for 5 minutes until tender. Add broccoli and lima beans and saute 7 minutes or so until tender.
Add spinach and basil and saute for 2 minutes. Add veggie broth and heat for another minute or two. Sprinkle with salt. Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
For topping: Combine breadcrumbs, cheese, milk and stir.
To cook: Add veggie puree to a small baking dish and top with breadcrumb mixture. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.