This recipe is a STAPLE in my house. I honestly make it at least once a week. Kula Baby will always eat it, no matter his mood. I turn a blind eye to the fact that he is eating the green stuff because it is attached to the yummy bread and cheese topping 🙂
Baked Broccoli Gratin
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli
- ¾ cup lima beans (I used organic frozen lima beans)
- ½ sweet onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped spinach (optional)
- 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped (or ½ tsp dried basil)
- ¼ cup veggie broth
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (organic, unrefined)
- ¾ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs (use crushed up rice chex (or and organic brand) for gluten-free version)
- ¼ cup milk or rice milk (you want the breadcrumbs to have a little moisture or the topping turns out dry)
- Pinch of sea salt
- In a frying pan, saute oil garlic and onion for 5 minutes until tender. Add broccoli and lima beans and saute 7 minutes or so until tender.
- Add spinach and basil and saute for 2 minutes. Add veggie broth and heat for another minute or two. Sprinkle with salt. Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- For topping: Combine breadcrumbs, cheese, milk and stir.
- To cook: Add veggie puree to a small baking dish and top with breadcrumb mixture. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.