Photo: The Bitten Word
We visited the Camarillo Farmer’s Market last weekend and picked up some purple cauliflower, because who can resist purple cauliflower? I decided to try making a gourmet PURPLE mac and cheese dish. Kula Baby wasn’t as impressed as I thought he would be, but he ate the mac and cheese right up anyway. The good news? He didn’t spit out any of the veggies. That means this recipe is a winner.
- 1 cup quinoa pasta (spiral or elbow shapes work great)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1½ cup milk
- ¼ cup flour (for GF use Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Baking Flour, Gluten Free)
- ½ - ¾ cup cheddar cheese (depending on how cheesy your kids like things)
- ½ cup chopped sweet onion
- ½ cup peas
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- ½ cup chopped purple cauliflower (yup, regular will work too)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Cook the pasta according to the directions (don’t overcook), drain and set aside.
- In a pan, heat butter until melted. Whisk in flour until combined and then whisk in milk. Keep stirring to keep things from getting clumpy (mine got clumpy so I added a little more milk--the flavor didn't suffer in the end). Keep stirring the sauce while it gets thicker—probably 3-5 minutes. Add half of the cheese, the onion, peas, garlic and cauliflower and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into an oven proof dish and top with the remaining cheese. Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Variations: Add ¾ cup of chopped spinach to make this GREEN Mac and Cheese!