It seems odd to post a broccoli soup recipe in the middle of summer, but I hear it’s pretty cold in Seattle these days so this one is for all you mamas turning the heat on at night 🙂
We had a head of broccoli that NEEDED to be used tonight so I decided to whip up a batch of this soup. I make this soup frequently, especially when I feel like Kula Baby needs an extra veggie boost. We use coconut milk instead of regular milk and it makes the soup taste so yummy. Kula Baby gobbles this stuff right up. It takes about 10 minutes to make–you can’t beat it!
Quick and Easy Broccoli Soup (Gluten-free)
- 2 medium heads of broccoli, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoon butter (or you can use olive oil instead, but butter gives an extra yummy flavor)
- 3-4 cups milk or milk substitute (we use coconut milk)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place broccoli in steamer (we use a pan and metal steamer basket for all our steamed veggies to make it easy) and steam until slightly tender but not overdone.
- While broccoli is steaming, get out a saute pan and saute butter, garlic and onion until tender. Add milk and broccoli to pan and heat through.
- In a blender (I used my NEW handy Vitamix, oh my how I love this thing), add the parmesan cheese and the broccoli mixture from stove. Blend until smooth. Transfer back to stove and taste. Add salt and pepper. Add more milk if a thinner consistency is needed (or if you like a thicker soup add a tablespoon of flour).