This “milkshake” is Kula Baby’s new favorite summer treat. He thinks he’s getting some sort of chocolate-flavored ice cream and I’m in no hurry to tell him otherwise. This smoothie is a perfect blend of protein and sweet. It’s also so refreshing on a warm summer day. The ground flaxseeds offer brain-building omega 3s (remember to grind them just before adding to the smoothie) and the raw cacao powder provides a big helping of antioxidants.
And the best part…it ALMOST tastes like ice cream! Enjoy!
Kula Baby’s Favorite Milkshake
- 1 cup milk (rice milk, nut milk, goat milk, etc.) (you can add more milk if you like a thinner consistency)
- 1 heaping tablespoon almond butter (try 2 tablespoons if you want extra protein!)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (full of omega-3 fats!)
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 banana (we freeze our bananas for this but you can use unfrozen too)
- ¼-1/2 cup ice
- 1 tablespoon protein powder (optional, but I like the added protein. My favorite brand can be found here.)
- dash of cinnamon (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a blender and combine until smooth. Taste it and feel free to add more of a certain ingredient if you like. You can also try adding different combinations of fruit to change it up from time to time.