A simple way to give your child’s daily meal plan a super nutrition boost is to introduce daily green smoothies. The earlier you do this the better because a child’s taste buds start developing before birth! Pregnant and nursing women should eat a wide variety of flavors including bitter greens, fermented sour foods and yes, spicy foods too. This helps a developing baby get both the nutrients he needs AND form taste preferences for a wide variety of foods.
The smoothie I am going to share with you today is one I gave both my children as toddlers. It’s easy to make, mild in flavor, and full of raw enzymes. My little one (2) often requests her “Geeen Moothy” at lunch time. I hope your children like it as much as mine.
Toddler-friendly Green Smoothie
- 1 peeled medium-sized cucumber
- 1 peeled apple (I like tart green apples but my toddler prefers red apples--we use both)
- 1 lime, peeled
- ½ inch piece of peeled, raw ginger (optional, if your child is sensitive to spicy foods omit and start with a smaller amount once he/she is used to this smoothie)
- 1 cup filtered water
- 5-8 cubes of ice, depending on size
- Combine all ingredients in a high powered blender and blend on high for one minute until ice is completely blended. Divide into cups and drink immediately for optimal nutrient absorption.
- Optional SUPER nutrition booster: Add ¼ cup raw greens (spinach, beet greens, chard leaves, kale)