We are preparing for a big trip to Disneyland soon so I’ve been busy in the kitchen preparing lots of healthy snacks to take with us. I figure it’s my job to try to balance all the crap we are sure to eat at the park with some healthy snack options. I haven’t been to Disneyland since I was about 12 years old so I can’t remember anything about the food served there. However, rumor has it the corn dog is hard to compete with, so all my cooking in the kitchen might be for nothing.
Brain-building Trail Mix
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (you can use another type of nut too—but walnuts contain brain-building omega-3s)
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup oats (buy gluten-free oats if you want this recipe gluten-free)
- ½ cup dried cherries or raisins
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- Chop walnuts into bite-sized pieces
- Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees.
- Melt coconut oil over low heat. Mix nuts, seeds, syrup, oil, fruit, coconut, oats and cinnamon in a bowl. Mix to combine.
- Place piece of parchment paper on cookie sheet. Spread out nut mixture on parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes.
- Let cool before serving.