I know I sound like a broken record when I write about how important healthy gut flora is to a thriving immune system. But the truth is, if our digestive tract isn’t happy, then nobody’s happy! With over 80% of the immune system in the gut, probiotics are literally the key to healthy living.
Probiotics, or healthy bacteria, naturally occur in fermented food and drink. In fact, probiotics obtained through naturally fermented food and drink are more effective then taking an over the counter probiotic supplement. Nature always does things better, doesn’t it?
I’m still a newbie when it comes to fermenting my own stuff. Learning the art of fermentation is one of my goals this year. I’ve tried my hand at a few recipes like the ginger bug and fermented apple juice, kefir water and we make our own coconut yogurt from time to time. However that’s about the extent of my experience thus far. So a few weeks ago I picked up an Ebook on fermentation, Culture Your Life, written by a naturopathic doctor and nutritionist. I learned a lot about the hows and whys of fermentation. The Ebook is on sale through May for 50% off when you use the code SAVE50. So if you want to learn about fermentation, check out this great reference book here: Click here to view more details
The author graciously allowed me to use one of her great recipes on the blog today. This is a kid-friendly, apple water kefir packed full of probiotic power. Don’t know how to make water kefir? The book will tell you how! I hope your kids like it!
- 2 Cups of Water Kefir
- (Made from Maple Syrup/Coconut Nectar or Coconut Sugar)
- 4-6 slices dehydrated apple or fresh apple (half and apple cored and peeled)
- Add the apples to the strained Water Kefir, cover and leave for a further 12-24 hours.
- The concentrated sugar in the dehydrated apples should be enough sugar for the ferment.
- If using fresh apple you may need to add extra sugar.
- Ferment to taste.
- Strain out apples (Eat the fruit on their own or in Coconut Yoghurt or Green Kefir Smoothie or SCOBY Shake).
- Drink straight, diluted with a little sparkling water.